Jon Jones Would Prefer Jet Li over Steven Seagal to Be in His Corner - Bleacherreport.com

  • Connect with Facebook

Brian Lopez-Benchimol (Featured Columnist) on September 29, 2011

Jon-jones-2_crop_340x234

While champion Jon Jones' dominant performance over Quinton "Rampage" Jackson at UFC 135 was the talk of the town last weekend, another celebrity wanted to share some of the spotlight.

Aikido black belt and movie star Steven Seagal, whom has infamously helped train such fighters as Lyoto Machida and Anderson Silva in the past, wanted to lend his "expertise" to the likes of Jones.

The 205-pound kingpin is a product of the Jackson-Winkeljohn connection out of Albuquerque, New Mexico. Jones' game has improved dramatically, previously having been a spitfire with potential, to becoming a champion with a limitless roof of expectations.

Seagal made mention that he spoke with Jones in the days leading up to his UFC 135 main event. Though "Bones" recalled the conversation, he fancied it more strange than useful.

"I don't know how he got my number," said Jones in an interview on the Jim Rome Show.

Jones admits that Seagal's motives were in question, since the "Under Siege" star has worked so closely with the aforementioned Machida, somebody whom the champion suggests he could face in the very near future.

"Machida is definitely someone I want to fight in my near future and I just didn't want to share my psychology with him or anything that would put me at a disadvantage in the future," said Jones.

"It was just confusing, really, to bring in someone you don't work with at all to give you last second advice, it can actually be more detrimental than helpful."

Ultimately, though, Jones, 24, isn'tnecessarily "Hard to Kill" or "Above the Law" kind of fan.

Now had it been Jet Li, who's been in such films as "Lethal Weapon 4" and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," that would have been a whole other story.

I dont wanna bad mouth him too bad, he had good intentions, I think. But yeah, I definitely wasnt having Steven Seagal in my corner. I could see if it was Jet Li or something, Jet Li would be pretty cool. I would definitely take that call, for sure.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact Lindsay Lohan

Life After Death: Cryonics Pioneer Robert Ettinger Dies - International Business Times

Fall TV: Capsule reviews of all the new shows - San Jose Mercury News