David Hyde Pierce makes SPAC debut with orchestra - msnbc.com

SARATOGA SPRINGS - David Hyde Pierce hoped the sounds coming from the stage Friday, would catch on to young ears. The hometown boy and television celebrity rehearsed with the Philadelphia Orchestra for his first ever performance at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center.

"This is my SPAC debut, if you don't count graduating from high school. I graduated from high school on this stage," he laughed.

CLIP from Frasier:
Kramer: "Niles, this is incredible it's just awful. We're going to look like such idiots!"
Niles: "We? The whole thing, I knew I should never have let you get me involved!!"

Best known for his long run as Dr. Niles Crane on the popular NBC Sitcom "Frasier," Pierce has also won Tony awards for his theater work.

At SPAC, he'll be narrating a "Youth's Guide to the Orchestra" with the goal of inspiring local children, like he was, at a young age. Pierce himself went to his first SPAC at the age of seven, and said he was so enchanted with the ballet and orchestra, it steered him toward a career in the performing arts.

"I watched the New York City Ballet. I saw the very first ballet here, Balanchine's "A Midsummer Night's Dream." And that was my first performance that I'd seen, and that had as much an affect on me later becoming an actor," Pierce said.

Reporter: "Do you know who David Hyde Pierce is?"
Sophia Biava, age 4: "No."
Reporter: "What about Dr. Niles Crane?"
Sophia: "No."
Reporter: "But you like the orchestra?"
Sophia: "Yes."

Not all children may know who David Hyde Pierce is. But he hoped they'll find out at SPAC, just how powerful music can be.

"I think if kids come, families bring their kids they won't have to do any convincing. They'll forget just for a few minutes about Justin Bieber.

  • SARATOGA SPRINGS - David Hyde Pierce hoped th...

  • Jump to discussion

    David Hyde Pierce makes SPAC debut with orches...

  • Jump to related

    Albany, NY


  • Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Contact Lindsay Lohan

    Life After Death: Cryonics Pioneer Robert Ettinger Dies - International Business Times